The Fight for the Founders' Cup
Every wave is its own miracle. But they'll add up to one thing: the first-ever Founders' Cup Champion. Catch the opening ceremony, first wave, and first rounds Saturday, and watch the final three teams battle it out for the win on Sunday.
- Five teams of five athletes. Three men, two women per team.
- Each athlete surfs two waves per run (left and right) – each wave scored out of 10.
- Each athlete will surf six waves across three runs during the Qualifying Round – three rights, three lefts.
- Each athlete's top-scoring left and top-scoring right will contribute to the Team Total.
- Ten waves (each of the five team members' contributing top-scoring left and right) are added up to a maximum team total of 100.
- Top three scoring teams out of the five qualify for the Final.
Top 3 teams advance to Final.
- Three remaining teams of five athletes. Three men, two women per team.
- Each athlete surfs two waves per heat (left and right) - each wave scored out of 10.
- The athlete's best scoring single wave (out of either the left or right) will make up his or her heat total (out of a possible 10).
- There will be five three-surfer heats in the Final.
- Differing from the Qualifying Round, the Final will assign points for each heat placing toward the Team Total.
- For Heats 1 - 3: 1st: 2 points, 2nd: 1 point, 3rd: 0 points
- For Heats 4 - 5: 1st: 4 points, 2nd: 1 point, 3rd: 0 points
- Heat 4 will be contested by women, heat 5 by men.
- Heats 4 and 5 will matter! Let's see who the Captains assign to these heats!
Team A / Athlete A
Team B / Athlete A
Team C / Athlete A
Team A / Athlete B
Team B / Athlete B
Team C / Athlete B
Team A / Athlete C
Team B / Athlete C
Team C / Athlete C
Team A / Athlete D
Team B / Athlete D
Team C / Athlete D
Team A / Athlete E
Team B / Athlete E
Team C / Athlete E
In the event of a Tie, there will be a Surf Off to decide the winner.
- Surf Off will be one male, one female per team.
- Each surfer rides one wave each.
- Both waves count towards the heat total (maximum of 20 points per team) to determine the winner.